Rankin and Mingle Dentistry
Consider Rankin & Mingle Dentistry for quality Aurora children’s dentistry. Tooth decay often begins early, making young children particularly susceptible. Nearly half of children between the ages of two and eleven have experienced tooth decay. And 32% of kids between nine and eleven develop cavities in their permanent teeth.
Major contributing factors to this public health problem include baby formula with added sugar and heavily sugared fruit juices. Even breast milk can cause cavities in baby teeth because of the natural sugars present.
When Should I Schedule My Child’s First Dental Appointment?
Care for baby teeth should begin as soon as the first tooth appears. We recommend bringing your child in for an exam before their first birthday. Regular six-month checkups will put kids on a schedule like most adults, establishing a routine that will last a lifetime.
Don’t wait any longer; schedule your child’s first dental appointment today!
How Do I Help My Child Avoid Tooth Decay?
The following early steps can help guard your child against tooth decay, even before their first dental visit:
- Your baby’s teeth should always be rinsed with water or wiped down with a damp cloth after feeding, especially before they fall asleep. Milk or formula residue left in the mouth can promote decay even in the youngest patients.
- Try to wean your child off bottle feeding by their first birthday. This helps avoid decay and minimizes the chance of jaw growth problems from excessive sucking.
- Begin brushing as soon as the first tooth appears. Even if it’s barely poking through the gum, a tooth can develop decay if not cleaned properly. Start by brushing with an extra soft-bristled brush and water, and ask your dentist when it’s ok to use a small amount of toothpaste.
- Help your child brush, and remember that kids only have the dexterity to clean their teeth independently after they can tie their shoes.
- Don’t give bottles of sugary drinks or milk before bedtime.
- If you offer sugary beverages, have your child use a straw so the teeth will have less contact with the liquid.
- Limit the sugary, processed, and simple carbohydrate foods and drinks your child eats
What Are Some Children’s Dentistry Treatments?
Our children’s dentistry treatments include various services, such as:
Dental cleanings are essential to maintaining healthy teeth and gums, and they play a crucial role in preventing cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues. For parents, regular dental checkups and dental cleanings for their children can give them peace of mind, knowing that their child’s teeth and gums are well-cared for. By visiting us, parents can ensure that their child receives the specialized care needed to maintain good oral health throughout their childhood and adulthood.
Dental sealants are a recommended option for children’s dentistry. These thin, plastic coatings are typically applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to prevent decay. While brushing and flossing are crucial components of oral hygiene, sealants can provide parents with extra protection and peace of mind. One of the benefits of dental sealants is that they require no drilling or filling, so they are painless and non-invasive. And sealants last several years, so parents can rely on them to help keep their children’s teeth in good shape as they grow and develop. By investing in dental sealants, parents can proactively approach their children’s dental health and support a lifetime of happy smiles.
Aurora Children’s Dentistry
In conclusion, scheduling your child’s first dental appointment is crucial for their oral health and development. It will set the foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums and allow them to become comfortable with visiting the dentist regularly. By following these tips on preventing tooth decay, you can ensure your child’s smile stays bright and healthy. Monitor their brushing habits, limit sugar intake, and schedule regular dental cleanings.
If you have any concerns or questions about your child’s oral health, do not hesitate to Contact Rankin and Mingle Dentistry today to book a consultation with Dr. Michael Mingle or Dr. Jennifer Rankin. Let’s work together to give your child the best possible start on a quality Children’s Dentistry program as part of our family dentistry in Aurora, Colorado. We also offer cosmetic dentistry and even orthodontics! Our experienced dentists and friendly staff will provide top-notch care for young patients, ensuring they feel comfortable and confident during their visits.